Skip to main content

Reading report for January 2008

Before I begin listing books:
For 2008, I decided to make a bit of a change in my reading statistics compilation. Instead of writing my reading reports on loose sheets of A5 paper and inserting them into folders in alphabetical order (by author) like I have been doing for the past couple of years, I used my newly learned bookbinding skills and made a hand-bound reading journal into which I write the information I want to keep track off as I finish each book. I decided to do this because the folders take up a lot of space and look ugly on the shelves, whereas an even halfway well-made hand-bound book is a joy to behold and easier to stack. As I put everything except the summary and a one-sentence review into the computer as well, what I wrote about each book will still be easy to find. All I need to do is to open the relevant computer file and then I will know approximately whereabouts in the journal to find what I wrote about the book.

Since the journal is 336 pages long and I am able to fit information about two books (on average) on a page, the book should last me over 4 years. Even if I start writing down more information, like words I learned from reading the book and longer reviews, it should still last over 2 years. To make the books easier to find in the journal without starting up the computer, I plan to tip in an index at the end of each year, with the books alphabetised by author and the month I read them in.

I still haven’t found the perfect covering for the journal, so the boards are currently only bound with blue Rexine (fake leather) on the spine and corners, but I will post a photo of it once I do find the right paper for finishing it (something that goes with blue and has a book theme).

And now for the reading report:

January’s reading was a mixture of mystery and romance, with a couple of other genres thrown in for good measure.

Suzanne Brockmann: Forever Blue
Kristine Grayson: Thoroughly kissed
Tony Hillerman: Dance Hall of the Dead
Miranda Jarrett: The Very comely countess
Nagio Marsh: Colour scheme, Died in the wool, Final curtain, Swing, brother, swing, Night at the Vulcan
Katherine Hall Page: The Body in the Bog
Scott Rice, ed.: Son of "It was a dark and stormy night"
Joyce Stranger: Two's Company
Mark Twain: Roughing It. (The month's classic).

Son of "It was a dark and stormy night" deserves a special mention. It is a collection of opening sentences to imaginary books, entries in the Bulwer-Lytton fiction contest. This is a great read for those who can tell the difference between good writing and bad and have the sense of humour to laugh rather than cry when they meet with the latter. As the passages are short it makes perfect toilet reading material for those who go in for that sort of thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme