Skip to main content

The problem with Project Gutenberg

I love Project Gutenberg. For those unfamiliar with it, it is an online library of texts, recordings, film, sheet music and artwork that is not copyrighted, mostly because the copyright has expired, but in some cases because the copyright owners have decided to make them available to the world free of charge. The biggest collection is that of books, of which it has thousands, including many classics. While I am no particular lover of e-books, I have downloaded and read many books from the site that I have been unable to get from the public library. Unfortunately the site has one huge disadvantage: the search options are limited.

There are several different search options available, but unfortunately they only work as designed if you have a specific author or title in mind. You can also look by language, type of file (text, audio, picture, etc.) and several other criteria, including LoCC categories, which I assume to mean Library of Congress Catalogue classifications. But why is there no genre search?

Surely I am not the only one who would like to be able browse the texts by genre or subject? The option is already available in the Subject search, but it is useless because very few of the books have actually been labelled by subject. For example, the other day I wanted to find some mysteries to browse through to see if I could find something interesting but when I made a Subject search for “mystery”, I only got 64 results, but I happen to know there are hundreds of mysteries (true and fictional) in the database. Even where they are labelled, the labelling is sometimes nearly useless because it is not the same for all the books, as for example in the Sherlock Holmes books, where some of the books are labelled “Mystery and detective stories” and others “Private investigators”. While the first label is rather obvious, the second is not, and it’s annoying that, for example, not all the Sherlock Holmes books will come up when you type in “mystery”, and only 2 out of the 5 R. Austin Freeman mysteries available, and so on. And it’s the same for all other genres.

As it is, if I want to browse, I must either browse only the labelled books by the genre I am looking for, missing all the unlabelled ones, or go through the whole list of 20 thousand plus files in order to find titles that may or may not fit what I am looking for, missing many because they don’t have indicative titles or are written by authors I am unfamiliar with.

Even a person with no knowledge of library classification systems can fill in the subject line in the description file for the books with general words and phrases that describe the subject and/or genre of the book, but it has not happened except for a few books. Surely, if a list were to be supplied to standardise the subject labelling and the people who work so hard at scanning, editing and proofreading the texts before they are published were take a moment to fill in the subject line when they turn in their work for publication and others would go to work on the books already in the database, the database would become much more user friendly. I know that I, for one, would use it a lot more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme