Skip to main content

Bibliophile reviews The Daughter of Time (mystery)

Author: Josephine Tey
Series detective: Inspector Alan Grant
No. in series: 5 of 6
Year of publication: 1951
Type of mystery: Murder, historical
Type of investigator: Professional, aided by an amateur
Setting & time: A hospital in England, 1950's
Some themes: History, regicide

Story: Inspector Grant is lying in bed, recovering from a broken leg and other injuries sustained while trying to capture a criminal. He suffers from boredom until an old friend suggests he try working out some unsolved murder. A portrait of Richard III and people’s comment that the picture looks more like the image of a victim or a judge than a cold-blooded killer gives him interest in trying to discover the true events behind the mystery of the princes in the Tower , possibly the most notorious regicide in the history of England. He needs someone to do research for him, and with the help of a friend he enlists the aid of a young historian who starts ploughing through old documents in search of the truth.

While the characters in the modern part of the story are all fictional, the historical stuff in the story is all about real people and real events and the research is all real. Tey seems to have chosen to publish the deductions she and others had made about the events in a fictional setting, as it really is impossible to say anything for certain about what really happened so long after the events took place. Others have tried to do the same thing in learned essays and books and have failed to reach a convincing conclusion.

Review: Trying to review what some have called the best murder mystery ever written is a daunting task, but I will try anyway.

In terms of detection, it is undoubtedly a masterpiece. We get to see the detective’s mind at work on the case from beginning to end – which is more than we do in many mysteries because few authors have the skill to allow us to see all that goes on in the sleuth’s mind without giving away the villain too soon. We see how Grant gathers evidence for and against his hypothesis, how he follows his clues and makes his deductions from them step by logical step. On the other hand, the story is short of action, most of the interesting characters are dead (meaning we only get to know about their personalities from what can be deduced from historical papers – which isn’t much), and one has to be interested in the subject to get up any kind of enthusiasm for it. This, for me, is the story’s weakest point.

The subject matter is very English. This mystery has gone down in English history and made some people there wonder for centuries. When I was studying British history as part of my B.A. we had to read about the more famous English monarchs, plus of course Richard III was mentioned in connection with the play that Shakespeare wrote about him, but I don’t remember giving it any more thought than “wicked man – got what he deserved” and that was it. I certainly never wondered what really happened to the princes in the Tower, but I guess it might be different for someone living in Britain and reading English history, especially someone of an enquiring mind and with an interest in mysteries. I will say that Tey’s writing does manage to make the subject interesting on an intellectual level, but I never got excited about the outcome on a personal level.

My thinking is that while this may be the best British mystery of all time, I can’t see it being of so much interest to an international audience that they would put it at number one, except of course some who are consummate anglophiles.

Rating: A well-written and convincing hypothetical solution to a true historical mystery. 3 + stars.

P.S. People have been wrangling over this subject for centuries, and there is good proof, just as good as what is presented in the story, for a solution contrary to Grant’s.

P.P.S. If you're wondering about the title, there is an old proverb that goes: "Truth is the Daughter of Time"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book 40: The Martian by Andy Weir, audiobook read by Wil Wheaton

Note : This will be a general scattershot discussion about my thoughts on the book and the movie, and not a cohesive review. When movies are based on books I am interested in reading but haven't yet read, I generally wait to read the book until I have seen the movie, but when a movie is made based on a book I have already read, I try to abstain from rereading the book until I have seen the movie. The reason is simple: I am one of those people who can be reduced to near-incoherent rage when a movie severely alters the perfectly good story line of a beloved book, changes the ending beyond recognition or adds unnecessarily to the story ( The Hobbit , anyone?) without any apparent reason. I don't mind omissions of unnecessary parts so much (I did not, for example, become enraged to find Tom Bombadil missing from The Lord of the Rings ), because one expects that - movies based on books would be TV-series long if they tried to include everything, so the material must be pared down

List love: 10 recommended stories with cross-dressing characters

This trope is almost as old as literature, what with Achilles, Hercules and Athena all cross-dressing in the Greek myths, Thor and Odin disguising themselves as women in the Norse myths, and Arjuna doing the same in the Mahabaratha. In modern times it is most common in romance novels, especially historicals in which a heroine often spends part of the book disguised as a boy, the hero sometimes falling for her while thinking she is a boy. Occasionally a hero will cross-dress, using a female disguise to avoid recognition or to gain access to someplace where he would never be able to go as a man. However, the trope isn’t just found in romances, as may be seen in the list below, in which I recommend stories with a variety of cross-dressing characters. Unfortunately I was only able to dredge up from the depths of my memory two book-length stories I had read in which men cross-dress, so this is mostly a list of women dressed as men. Ghost Riders by Sharyn McCrumb. One of the interwove

First book of 2020: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach (reading notes)

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I loathe movie tie-in book covers because I feel they are (often) trying to tell me how I should see the characters in the book. The edition of Deborah Moggach's These Foolish Things that I read takes it one step further and changes the title of the book into the title of the film version as well as having photos of the ensemble cast on the cover. Fortunately it has been a long while since I watched the movie, so I couldn't even remember who played whom in the film, and I think it's perfectly understandable to try to cash in on the movie's success by rebranding the book. Even with a few years between watching the film and reading the book, I could see that the story had been altered, e.g. by having the Marigold Hotel's owner/manager be single and having a romance, instead being of unhappily married to an (understandably, I thought) shrewish wife. It also conflates Sonny, the wheeler dealer behind the retireme